Friday 7 August 2015

Failure Project Day Five: We Want to See You Fail

photo by Lara Ward.


A shorter blog post today, because it's late and I'm tired.

We spent today trying more exercises pairing movement tasks with verbal improvisation. In the morning we tried to make the improvisation about successes in our lives. We raided the costume pile again as well, trying to dress for success.

In the afternoon we had a small audience of invited guests for an open rehearsal, and we continued the exercises of the morning, but changing the verbal exploration to failure instead of success.

Useful provocations included the observation that I appear quite good at these exercises. How do I find a way to fail, or come close to failing, in performance, without contrivance? Do I need to do this, if I am making a piece about failure? I don't really have the answer to that. I could attempt to do many things I'm not any good at, but is that actually creatively interesting? One of many questions to consider this weekend.

supported by:

2 comments:

  1. Is this project continuing Cat? It's been really interesting reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I've got another week of research & development, and then hope to develop a show further down the road. x

    ReplyDelete